This Trio Root Veg Baby Purée is one of the best choices for your babies first food. It’s suitable for babies over 6 months.
Orange fleshed sweet potato is a good source of vitamins C, and betacarotene and is richer in nutrients than ordinary potatoes. You can also substitute other vegetables when weaning your baby like swede or pumpkin for the sweet potato. Root vegetables have a naturally sweet taste, they puree to a smooth consistency and are unlikely to cause allergies, so they make a good first food.
• 200g carrots , peeled and chopped
• 100g parsnips, peeled and chopped
- Steam the root vegetables for about 20 minutes or until tender. Steaming is the best way to preserve nutrients but if you don’t have a steamer, put the vegetables into a saucepan and just cover with boiling water.
- Blend the vegetables to a puree adding a little of the boiled water at the bottom of the steamer (about 75ml) or some of your baby’s usual milk to make a good consistency for your baby.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook over a medium heat until tender (about 20 minutes).
- Drain the vegetables and blend to a puree using a little of the cooking liquid or you could add a little of your baby’s usual milk.
Prepare this Trio Root Veg Baby Purée and enjoy feeding your little baby.